5/7/13

DIY mother's day gift from your baby/toddler

I posted this finger painted pillow last year, but wanted to share again as you prepare for mother's day.  If you have a sewing machine, you can pull this one off pretty easily.  I know my moms love handmade gifts over anything store bought, and this is one your baby or toddler can help you with. 

Last years post:

I wanted to show you the gift I made for my mother and mother in law for mother's day.  I wanted to do something that involved Wesley and this idea just came to me a few nights before the big day.  I think it turned out great {I'm actually pretty proud of myself}. It was relatively simple and I think it makes a great handmade gift for grandparents at any occasion.




A few notes about the supplies:
For my fabric, I used an old white sheet.
It is almost necessary to have a helper (other than your artist)  

I just taped regular computer paper to our dining room table. If I were to do it again, I might use glossy photo paper because when I transferred the paint to the fabric, some of the paper came with it. It eventually came off but to avoid that issue another type of paper would work better.  Or if you had some plexi-glass or other type of material hanging around, that would probably work to.

 





I don't have a good picture of this step (I was washin the baby), but this is really the key for getting the look I got on my fabric.  I don't think you can really mess this step up, but don't try to finger paint directly on the fabric.  I mean, I guess you could, but I don't recommend it.  I think you get a cooler, more abstract result by transferring the image. 


Here is a good pillow tutorial for you: Click Me.  I am no expert sewer.

And tada! You are done. It was a total hit with the grandmas.  I actually wish I had made a few more for myself.

1 comment: